- Students know what the HDI is
- Students have an idea about which places around the world has higher HDI
- Students can demonstrate that they know that there is a difference between Quality of life and what the HDI says
- Question of the day
- Intro to HDI
- Story of Emma and Jose + Organizer
- Who’s happy according to who?
Copy of handout:HDI handout
Question of the day:
What made you happy today?
Are you happy to be at school?
HDI- Human Development Index
The HDI was created to show that PEOPLE and what they have ACCESS to, should be the criteria for the DEVELOPMENT of that country.
- Recap: Developed World vs Developing World- Which is which?
The HDI focuses on 3 things:
- Measured by life expectancy at birth
- Measured by what or if schooling is available for people over the age of 25
- Measured by expected amount of years of schooling for children
- Standard of living
- Measured by the country’s GNI (Gross National Income) or $
The HDI does not consider poverty, inequality, human security, and other factors.
This is a link to HDIs around the world: https://worldmap.canadiangeographic.ca/
Link to country profiles: http://hdr.undp.org/en/countries
The Story of Emma and Jose
- Read each of the stories
- Fill out the organizer to find out which child is HAPPIER and who has a better QUALITY OF LIFE
Let’s discuss our answers…