- Student can identify and explain at least one natural disaster (how it
acts and what it is)
- Student can understand/ remember that Natural Disasters occur due to the movement of the earth
- Natural Disasters Brainstorm
- Activity: What’s in your Emergency Kit?
- What is a Natural Disaster? (Handout)
- Video 1: The 10 Worst Natural Disasters in History
- Video 2: Fort McMurray Fire
- Activity with Graphic Organizer: Natural Disasters Explained
- Exit Card
What do you already know about Natural Disasters?
What are some of the different types?
Activity: What’s in your Emergency Kit?-
On the Emergency kit Template that you have been given…
- Chose 5 things to put in your Natural Disasters emergency kit based on what you already know
- Draw them inside your outline and label the items
- Either DRAW or WRITE the items
- Hand this in at the end of class*
Video (Disasters Around the World) : The 10 Worst Natural Disasters in History
Questions to think about while watching the video:
- What do you notice about the earth with each Natural Disaster?
- What elements (Earth, Wind, Fire, Water) are involved in each Disaster?
Video (Disaster in Canada): Fort McMurray Fire
Questions to think about while watching this video:
- Do you remember hearing about any natural disaster growing up?
- Which natural disasters do you think Canada is most likely to have happen?
Natural Disasters in Detail + Graphic Organizer
Copy of graphic organizer: natural-disasters-graphic-organizer
In groups given to you by the teacher:
- You will be given an info sheet on 1 Natural Disaster
- With your group, you will read the information and determine the most important points (2-3 points)
- On a section of the blackboard, you will write:
- The name of the Natural Disaster
- A drawing of what it looks like
- Your 2-3 main points about it
Use your blackboard selection as well as the others to complete your graphic organizer.
Knowing what you know now about Natural Disasters, answer the following questions on the other side of your emergency kit and hand it in before leaving the class.
- What items would you keep in your emergency kit from before?
- What items would you change? and what would you change them to?